ULAANBAATAR CITY TOUR
/ per person
- Ulaanbaatar city
Discover Ulaanbaatar: A Tapestry of Tradition and Modernity
Step into the heart of Mongolia’s capital, Ulaanbaatar, where the echoes of history blend seamlessly with the vibrant pulse of modernity. Founded in 1639, Ulaanbaatar reveals its rich tapestry, with a fascinating journey through time.
Historic Roots and Spiritual Center
Ulaanbaatar, once known as Ih Huree or Da Huree, earned its name as the “big circle” when nomads settled and formed circular patterns around the village center. In 1840, the Gandan Monastery took root in Ih Huree, marking the spiritual center of Mongolian Buddhism. Wander through this historic space, where the serenity of the past meets the vibrancy of the present.
Witness the architectural evolution that unfolded since the 1940s, as Russian-style architecture, characterized by Stalinist influences, left its mark on Ulaanbaatar. Immerse yourself in the juxtaposition of Soviet Classism with the emergence of modern, glass-clad skyscrapers after Mongolia’s transition to democracy in the 1990s.
- Guiding: Expert interpretation and navigation
- Meals: Full board with local and international cuisine
- Transport: 4×4 vehicles or minivans
- Entrance Fees: To protected areas and national parks
What’s not included:
- Optional Activities: Additional costs outlined
- Alcoholic Drinks: Not included
- Gandan Monastery Exploration:Begin your day with a visit to the revered Gandan Monastery, a spiritual haven and a symbol of Mongolia’s Buddhist heritage.
- Zaisan Hill-Top Vista:Ascend Zaisan, a hill-top adorned with a Soviet-era statue, offering panoramic views of the city. Capture the essence of Ulaanbaatar’s layout against the backdrop of the Mongolian landscape.
- Lunch Delight:Savor a delectable lunch, indulging in Mongolian flavors that tantalize your taste buds and provide a culinary experience unique to the region.
- Cultural Immersion:Choose between exploring the historical Bogd Khan Winter Palace Museum or the enchanting Tsojin Lama Monastery Museum, both offering insights into Mongolia’s royal past.
- Sukhbaatar Square and Parliament House:Visit the iconic Main Square, Sukhbaatar Square, surrounded by architectural gems like the Parliament House. Feel the pulse of the city in this central hub.
- Soviet Classism Entertainment:Immerse yourself in a National music and dance show at the main theater, a masterpiece of Soviet Classism architecture.
- Shopping Extravaganza:Embark on a shopping spree, exploring cashmere and souvenir shops. Take home a piece of Mongolian craftsmanship and style.
- Museum of Mongolian History:Dive into Mongolia’s rich history at the National History Museum, where exhibits weave a narrative that spans centuries.
- Evening Delights:Conclude your day with a delightful dinner, reflecting on the day’s cultural immersion and exploration.
Ulaanbaatar invites you to unravel its layers, where ancient traditions harmonize with the pulse of contemporary life. Embark on this journey to discover a city that beautifully balances its past and present, offering travelers a truly unique experience.